Steinway M problem

William C. Sadler sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 10:57:53 -0500

> Specifically:
>
> 	1.- The plates can be off all over the place, and not just the v-bar.

> 	2.- Yes, there is that much variation in casting.

	3.- And as already stated in the position of keys as dictated by
the case which can vary slightly.

	That is why they position the stack/keys before drilling capstans

> 	9.- The forefinisher sets the action frame _into_ the walnut
> 		and mahagony ends of the keyframe, so pins are
> 		still superfluous, unless, of course, they have been
> 		removed.

	I am sure Mr. McKone would see evidence to such suspicion...

	Ratio's aside...and dealing with the capstan to whippen click..I
maintain that PERHAPS the forefinisher mistakenly disturbed the stack
position after having marked the capstan position ...testing for this logic
would preclude redrilling the capstans....We can also recognize that the
problem lends an opportunity for resetting key ratios.

"...knowlege and understanding are great tools when combined with skill
which comes only through experience."

William Sadler
Shop Manager - Metro Piano Gallery
Head Piano Technician