Disgruntled list members (long)

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 11:21:16 -0700 (MST)

Greetings to all:   Yes, there is a piano technical point at the end.

During this past year I have noticed several occasions where one
technician takes a shameful shot at another.  Sometimes this seems to
be just an ego thing.  Other times, it seems that a technician too
easily takes offense when none was meant.

We have lost some valuable contributors this way, not to mention some
prominent RPT's.

There is a certain minimun amount of courtesy which should be shown to
all who write on this list. If one feels offended, it might be well to
re-think the comments which appeared to be offensive.  How could the
message have been better delivered? Then we should resolve to not be
guilty of the same kind of discourtesy if indeed that is the only way
a certain comment can be taken.

I Believe I have found a solution for some of this.  I have already
begun putting it into action. We all are suffering a little from the
large volume of posts we wade thru each day.

Here is what I do. If I find that someone is obnoxious more than once,
his name goes on a little "stickie" above my screen. Each day when I
read my email, when I come to a post by one who is on my list, I just
automatically hit the delete button.  I don't read his/her posts anymore.
I do not respond to this person with any cutting remarks, I just ignore
him/her.  Most people like to have their posts responded to.  If they
keep writing (because of ego, or a need to be seen in print) eventually
they will get the message.  We have some wanna be lawyers in our group
who are just picky picky picky. If we just totally ignore them, they may
go away.

If everyone who is rightfully offended just responds by ignoring the
perpetrator, we can get thru the mountain of mail a lot faster each day.
And, WE won't be so touchy either.

NOW FOR a technical point.

A month ago I was called to fix a Grand in a recording studio which had
sticking damper problems caused by the damper upstop rail having been
pushed up to where the dampers were jamming 3/4" above rest position. I
figured that by resetting the stop rail, the problem would be solved.
Easy. Yesterday I was called back for the next tuning and found just a few
Bass dampers jamming again.  The stop rail had been raised again part way.
This time I not only reset the rail properly, but also took care of the
excessive pedal and trap lever travel which was forcing the stop rail
up.  It pays to be more thorough doesn't it?  Some Rock pianists and some
church pianists keep time with the sustain pedal and that is what can
drive a stop rail up unless the pedal travel is limited properly.  I
wonder if anyone has found these rails to climb just from heavy playing
alone.

Jim Coleman, Sr.