Butt talk

Wallace F. Wilson wilson53@MARSHALL.EDU
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 21:03:31 -0500 (EST)

At 11:11 AM 3/28/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Alan Crane showed us a neat trick at a Guild meeting a few years back. I
>don't know if it was his own idea, or if he stole it from someone else. In
>any case, I stole it from him. It works like this.
I first saw this from Bill Spurlock.  It's in the Guild's book on preparing
for the technical exam.  I bought a bunch of those screws a while back (and
have only used one), so I'm not sure of the # - I think it's #6.  The trick
is to drill the hole using a 7/64 drill, and get it just to the bottom of
the shank without going further.  I determine this by a change of color in
the wood, or by feel.  Filling the hole with a wallpaper remover mixture and
letting that set before putting the screw in seems to help.  I just use vice
grips to extract the screw and shank remainder.  The only time I have
trouble with this method is on cedar shanks.  splinters up & makes a mess.
Wally Wilson