Service Vehicle

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:20:45 -0800

Gilreath@aol.com wrote:

> << As a mini-van costs about $10,000 more than a small pickup is it worth the
>  added expense?
>
>  Do any of you use a SUV?  Like?  Dislike?
>   >>

> Del,
>
> I went the SUV route (a Ford Bronco II) then moved up to an Aerostar for
> several years.  Now I'm using a Ford Ranger with a commercial cap on the
> back.  The Bronco was too short to fit actions easily.  The Aerostar was nice
> but took a good while to heat or cool.  The truck and cap I have now organize
> things well (swing up doors with shelves on the sides) and the big stuff is
> accessed by two swing open doors on the back.  This seems to work a lot
> better for me than the van did as the organization is much easier to work
> with and the cab heats and cools VERY quickly (important feature in the hot
> summertimes here).
>
> So far this is my pick after experienceing the others.  Oh yes, I forgot to
> mention the '63 Ford Fairlane 2 door hardtop that I had before that - but I
> didn't have to transport many actions back then <BG>.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Allan
>
> Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
> Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
> Berry College
> Gilreath@aol.com
> Calhoun, GA USA
Allen,
I have been using a mini cargo van since '90 and would not go back to a
pickup for the following reasons:

1. Your legs hang almost straight down instead straight out which has
almost eliminated the low back strain sitting in a small pickup all day.
Also the seat in my van has lumbar support you can crank out if you need
it.

2.Road vision-  You are up high enough to see over all the cars and at
least see through the windows of full sized pickups and vans in front of
you.  I had three accidents where I bumped the car in front in my pickup
and no accidents period since I had my van.

3. Ease of tool access- I slide open my side door and have all my tool
boxes in order left to right to choose from without getting in the van.
The stuff I don't use much is behind.

4. Grand action platform (Also camp bed)- A built in platform sitting on
top of the wheel wells which is a little below waist high for carrying
grand actions safely. There is a removable 2x4 slide stop with dowels
that insert into front support of the platform. I lay a doubled moving
blanket on the platform so the action won't slide. I have another stop
that goes on one side to completely box in the action.  Now another neat
thing that happened accidently was that there is enough room between the
rear of the platform and the tailgate to stand up even the largest
upright piano action wrapped in a moving blanket which allows you to
carry it in perfect safety!  So I can pick up one of each and take them
to the shop without a worry!  Under the platform I have two large
plastic storage containers for all those odds and ends you don't want
cluttering up the back of your van.  They slide in from the back.

When I go camping, I put in another platform in the front of the cargo
area and put a bed on it!

5. The tail gate doubles for a roof when it is raining. Allows you to
get an action wrapped in plastic to take into a customer's house.

6. The inside of my van is much drier than the inside of a pickup
topper, which means good things for felts and wire.

Hope this helps,

Warren

--
Warren D. Fisher