Steinway M problem

Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:00:45 -0800

Richard,

I am running between things just now, so I do not have time to give you
more than admittedly glib and flip response to what I assume is a serious
question:

All of the issues which you raise below are, more or less, depending
upon the instant circumstance (that is, on a per piano basis),
"super critical".  However, they are super critical each in concert
with the other, a free-floating, three dimensional well, four, once
the action is set in motion) ballet, if you will.

Specifically:

	1.- The plates can be off all over the place, and not just the v-bar.
	2.- Yes, there is that much variation in casting.
	3.- The tolerances are nominal, and have changed somewhat
		over the years, as casting methods have changed, with
		later (more recent) castings more true to form (that is,
		within "tolerance".)
	4.- No, they don't know either, which is why so much fore
		finishing has been abandoned in favor of jigged
		application/installation.
	5.- The fact that the capstan line _can_ vary doesn't mean
		it should.
	6.- The 2:1 ratio _is_ important, but it must be viewed in
		context with other issues.  I've seen lots and lots
		of "optimized" actions that sound and feel like
		garbage.
	7.- I am not sure that the movement range of the treble
		end was ever quite that great, but it was always
		intended as a compromise anyway - to even out
		the sound between the first and second treble.
	8.- Action swapping is probably more possible now than
		in previous times, but I used to change stacks
		on several pianos a good deal.
	9.- The forefinisher sets the action frame _into_ the walnut
		and mahagony ends of the keyframe, so pins are
		still superfluous, unless, of course, they have been
		removed.
	10.- I don't know about Alzheimer's, but it surely does
		go well with Filet.

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley