Baldwin Buckskins (was Re: Everstaff MiniPiano?)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:26:10 -0600

Barrie,

   If this is an older vertical, it sounds like you got hold of one of the
pianos where "substitute" buckskin was used during a time here when
buckskin was scarce.
   I can't remember the official names right now, but the first attempt was
a black "something or other" (as R. Moody mentioned) and it wasn't only on
the Howards. I own a regular Baldwin Studio that HAD that black stuff. :-)
   The next attempt at a substitute "looked" like regular buckskin, but
wasn't. After a period of time, it turned as hard as the wood it was glued
onto and sounded like the piano had its own percussion section.
   The "only" fix is to completely replace ALL of it: on the catchers and
on the hammer butts. Even though it is long past the regular warranty
period, Baldwin has been very good about continuing to furnish the materials
to replace these. If it should come up, you might want to contact them.
   If you have to do this, don't forget to allow for the cost of some
re-regulating in your estimate, especially the lost motion & backchecks.
Have fun.

Avery

>I actually tuned a Baldwin today not impressed with the leathers  they
>were that hard it made  the action  incredibly noisy and a big heap of
>check felt on the keys wich had beeen worn off,  all they all like this?
>
>Barrie.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston