Marks inside pianos

Tom Myler TomMyler@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 18:43:39 -0800

[snip]

> Jon seems really upset about what he calls graffiti.  I've noticed, as
> others have noted, that the client is often interested in the "history"
of
> the piano, especially if they bought it used or it was passed down
through
> the family.
>
> Del Gittinger,  RPT
> Registered Piano Technician
> of the Piano Technicians Guild
> delgit@acc-net.com
> Marion, OH

I was the one who noted that clients are occasionally interested in these
markings, but for the record,  I agree 100% with Jon.    As far as I'm
concerned, the technician's AND client's records belong on paper, hard
drives, and floppy discs.
I have no problem with completely removable notes (e.g., a business card or
other document PLACED inside piano or bench), but I consider any
permanently attached, inscribed, or engraved notes regarding tuning or
service to be unnecessary and ugly.   I think that  the terms "graffiti"
and "vandalism" may be slightly overstated and inflammatory, but those are
exactly the words that always come to mind when I'm looking at it.

This despite the fact that I do in fact sometimes find the information
mildly interesting (but never useful or informative).

over and out

Myler, Tom

"Perhaps the greatest wisdom is the knowledge
of one's own ignorance"

                                 John Steinbeck