Attitudes and a question...

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:29:32 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Phil.

Tempting though the thought might be to buy soneone else's client-
list and thus save yourself the time and effort of establishing your
own, I would adivse against it. Starting out doing work for a dealer
or two in your area and slowly developing your own clientel on the side
is the way to go. Here's why. (You KNEW there was a story coming, didn't
you?!).

A number of years ago a fairly well-established tuner, we'll call him
"H", called me about buying his client list. He was going to be leaving
the area (he was about 40 miles, or so away), needed the money and had
decided that I "deserved" first crack it buying it. "H" had a reputation
as a "sharpie", the kind of person who, if you shook hands with him,
afterwards you always counted your fingers to make sure that they were
all still there; the kind of person with whom I would never, ever do
business under ANY circumstances. I told him that I wasn't interested,
hung up the phone, sprayed it with Lysol disinfectant to make sure that
I didn't "catch" anything from the phone call and promptly forgot about
the whole thing for about a year.

About a year later I was talking with a good technician friend of mine,
who lived about 75 miles away. "Scott" is not only a fine technician,
but also a straight-shooter--as honest a businessman as you'll ever find.
Scott, that day, was "singin' the blue's". Big-time. It seems that after
I turned down "H's" offer to sell me his list, the next person he con-
tacted was "Scott". Scott went for it; about a thousand names, a five
bucks apiece. It included some IC work for a local college, several
schools, etc, and looked like a good deal. At first. "H" was supposed to
contact everyone on the list and let them know that Scott would be taking
over, but he never did. Instead, Scott, himself sent out letters and made
phone calls and for a while it looked like everything would work out OK.
The "Honeymoon" lasted about six months.

The, suddenly, when Scott would contact someone on the list, they were
no longer interested in having him service their piano, or the had found
"someone else". The list dried up almost overnight. Perplexed Scott start-
ed asking some questions and guess what? You got it! "H" had moved back
into the area, had contacted every customer on the list and told them
that he would once again be taking over the tuning work. When Scott con-
fronted "H" face to face, "H" only comment was "Hey, I've got to make a
living, too!" I advised Scott to sue, but I don't think he ever did. In-
stead he just chalked it up to experience. In the meantime "H" is still
out there, ripping people off, left and right. Then people wonder why I
sometimes sound cynical!!!!!

Les Smith
lessdmith@buffnet.net