stack placement: Steinway M problem

William C. Sadler sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:06:24 -0500

At 3/24/97 8:39 AM -0800, Horace Greeley wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I am sorry, but I do not understand your post.
>
> With (older) hand-built pianos, all of this forefinishing stuff was
> accomplished in reference to to:
>
> 	- String height, measured from the keybed to
> 		the under-side of the vbar, usually at several points; and,
>
> 	- Strike point, determined by (among other things):
> 		1.- What I would characterize as the "raw" tone of an
> 			unshaped, unvoiced new hammer; and,
> 		2.- What I would characterize as "experience influenced
> 		 	geometry.
>
> That is to say, the action was not fit to the keybed until the (relatively)
> stationary parts were in place (and tied down).  Since this was the case,
> "line up pins" were (are) not only superfluous, but contraindicated, as they
> tend to give impression of their being only one "correct" location.
>
> So, while in the case of some pianos, finding one that is "right" may be of
> some value.  In the case of an M, however, the numbers (and, therefore,
> relative "rightness") of one piano may be disasterous on another.
>
> Someone else has probably already spoken to this.
>
> Best.

My experience in the case of Steinway and what they used to do
.....keycapstans were drilled last.....

That is...

After hammers were hung the stack was placed over the keys to determine the
correct strike point on the string.

Then the capstan position was marked and drilled.

Perhaps in Mckones case in the process of drilling the stack screw holes
the stack moved (oops bumped).  Perhaps moving the stack over the capstans
will put it in the correct position really?????

"...knowlege and understanding are great tools when combined with skill
which comes only through experience."

William Sadler
Shop Manager - Metro Piano Gallery
Head Piano Technician