ANNUAL TUNING

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:16:30 -0500 (EST)

Greetings, all!

It probably comes as no surprise that I have a short, true story to tell
for the benefit off all who offer a vacuuming of the interior of the piano
as part of a normal service call. The story came to me from an adult who
was recollecting a personal experience from his youth. Here goes.

When "Jim" was about eight years old and taking piano lessons, his mother
always had the piano tuned by the same gentleman, apparently because every
time he tuned the instrument, it took it apart and vacuumed it thoroughly.
By thoroughly, Jim said, that on their old upright, the tuner would re-
move the front , the fall board, AND ALL THE KEYS and then proceed to
vacuum out the dirt under the keys. All this technical stuff apparently
really impressed Jim's mother. Anyway, one day after removing the keys,
and having just started to vacuum out the dirt, the tuner had to use the
bathroom. As he left to use the facilities, he handed Jim the vacuum and
asked him to finish up. Jim was determined to do a good job, so, as he
relates it, he vacuumed up not only all the dirt, but all the felt and
paper washers around the key pins as well. When the tuner came back and
saw what jim had done he slapped him across the face and took care of the
situation as follows: He put all the keys back into the piano, without re-
placing a single one of missing regulating felt/paper washers, somehow
managed to tune the piano in record time, took his tuning fee and left.
Jim said that in response to subsequent phone calls, the tuner refused
to ever return again. The moral of the story is WATCH OUT FOR LITTLE KIDS!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net