Steinway M problem

Mon, 24 Mar 1997 08:39:12 -0800

Richard,

I am sorry, but I do not understand your post.

With (older) hand-built pianos, all of this forefinishing stuff was
accomplished in reference to to:

	- String height, measured from the keybed to
		the under-side of the vbar, usually at several points; and,

	- Strike point, determined by (among other things):
		1.- What I would characterize as the "raw" tone of an
			unshaped, unvoiced new hammer; and,
		2.- What I would characterize as "experience influenced
		 	geometry.

That is to say, the action was not fit to the keybed until the (relatively)
stationary parts were in place (and tied down).  Since this was the case,
"line up pins" were (are) not only superfluous, but contraindicated, as they
tend to give impression of their being only one "correct" location.

So, while in the case of some pianos, finding one that is "right" may be of
some value.  In the case of an M, however, the numbers (and, therefore,
relative "rightness") of one piano may be disasterous on another.

Someone else has probably already spoken to this.

Best.

Horace

At 09:51 PM 3/21/97 -0600, you wrote:
>How come the capstans miss their whippen cushions??
>
>Of course the action was set right on the key frame.  In other words
>the action standard screw downs were right on the money.  Perhaps
>there should be "line up pins" as my automobile mechanic calls them.
>For such a precise placement, I have often wondered how they get the
>action placed exactly right,especially with hard to get at hold down
>screws.
>Some used cleats, so some red face if that is the case in an M, as I
>havn't seen one in a while.
>	Which is often the answer to perplexing problems, check out an
>instrument that is "right" to see if there are differences.  Then you
>know if the
>line up pins, or screw holes, or cleats, or anyting else differs.
>(such as the angle of the capstans)
>
>Richard Moody
>
>----------
>> From: John W. McKone <mckonejw@skypoint.com>
>> To: pianotech@byu.edu
>> Subject: Re: Steinway M problem
>> Date: Friday, March 21, 1997 9:55 AM
>>
>>Its the wippen/capstan contact
>> point that is making the noise. {snip}
>>Just looking for answers and hoping to learn.
>
>> John Mckone

Horace Greeley

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu