factory warranty?

Eugene I. Roe music.conx@net1plus.com
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 18:48:29 -0500

At 12:58 AM 3/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
><< James Grebe wrote:
>
>    I was told that this brand, "the Belarus" came with 'no' factory
>   warranty.   Has anyone else heard of any new instruments that come
>   with no factory warranty?
>
> Not only have I never heard of a new instrument being delivered with no
> warranty, >>
>
>Actually, some (if not all--my experience is with Sherman Clay) Kohler &
>Campbell (made by Samick) retailers purchase the warranty up to a certain
>cap, so if its, for example, under $x (I wonder what that x is, per piano)
> of warranty problem, the problem does not go back to the factory, it goes to
>the dealer to solve.  An interesting interuption of the feedback loop to the
>manufacturer, and what looks to me like a dilemna for the dealer who wants to
>preserve what little overhead is made on inexpensive pianos but still wants
>to promote the integrity of the product/ image.
>
>Audrey Karabinus,  Seattle
I have had a problem with a defective bridge on a Brentwood (Westbrook).
The horizontily laminated bridge was so deficient of glue in some places
that a spatula could be inserted right through it. needless to say, there
was not much sustain in those areas.the importer declined to replace the
piano but it was not too hard to fix with low viscosity epoxy.This was done
before the piano was offered for sale. I hate to think of a customer
getting any warrantee service on one of these. Gene Roe>