Cynicism..

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 08:44:06 -0600

----------
> From: Phil Bondi <tito@peganet.com>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Cynicism..
> Date: Sunday, March 23, 1997 7:27 AM
>
> ..the recent thread involving cynicism is understood here..i've been
playing
> the piano for over 30 years now and doing it professionally for 22
> years..I,too, have seen the cynics in that end of the business..in plain
> English, I don't feel it's necessary..to me it promotes a bad attitude.
>
> ..and as far as cynicism towards dealers and manufacturers in the Tuning
and
> Repair end of the biz, i guess i'll just have to find out for myself..i
> recently became the tuner/tech for 2 dealers here in town..one is
> Yamaha/Knabe, and the other is Baldwin/Wurlitzer/Chickering...both
dealers
> know i'm green to the tech-end of the biz, but they liked my positive
> attitude towards learning more about it and my continuing education in
the
> field.
>
> ..The Baldwin dealer has a reputation for abusing techs and not being
> totally up-front with them..my plan of attack there is to let them know
> up-front where _I_ stand as far as price, my availability, etc...In my
> not-so-humble-opinion, if the homework is done up-front, the results
should
> tend to be a good working relationship..i'm the newguy, so i'll have to
find
> out for myself...Outside of Larry Crabb, this list will be the first to
know
> of any problems i encounter..and hopefully, the experience here will help
> guide me through.
Dear Phil,
	Good luck on embarking your service carer.  Being the new guy is sometimes
a big advantage.  You can state your own new rules and let your employers
know the at the beginning, not after you have worked for them for a while.
Make your rules, learn them yourself, stick to them, and write them out so
your employers, and clients know where you stand.  I wish you much quality
time in our honorable profession.
Regards,
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com