Bechstein-restauration

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 22:46:55 +0000

Hi Les,

I know whewre you are coming from,   I used to work for a Company who
bulk purchased 14 lb standard bore grand hammers, we had to fit these
hammers on everything we had including babies.  I devised a four foot
vice to place in hammer heads in,  with a 12 inch very sharp knife
sliced them down to size. then reshaped the noses. I had to remove the
rivets when slicing down for the small grands.    This of course was
done with the hammers off the shanks this of course reduced the weight
and the size of the hammers allowing us to fit them on the smaller
grands which incidently the bulk of them went to the U.S. and Japan.

This is all well and fine for taking the weight down on the whole,
however, there is bound to be descrepencies if you weigh hammer to
hammer.  Re-shaping the hammer or the tail to reduce its weight so you
have like for like.  I would imagine you would end up with a rather
messy job.  Unless of course you know different.  I personally don't
think I would have the skill,  to shave off small amounts of felt, off
individual hammers and keep the line of sight and shape even over the
full set of hammers.

I still maintain, if you have chosen your particular brand of hammer
heads and they match the overall weight of your originals.  The
individual descrepencies would be rather difficult to remove.  Given the
fact, that modern hammers use laser guided cutting techniques and have
very fine tolerances on width.  The older hammers used standard machine
stop slicing,  there is bound to be descrepencies of width in an old set
of hammers. Therefore, intrroducing small amouts of fluctuation
 in width.

At present the posts refering to hammer shanks for some reason have not
arrived yet.  There are four articles in this particular subject still
missing I have had to date 12 posts on "Bechstein-restauration".

 Ceedar wood is indeed a rather flexible material, unfortuneately if the
moister contents is allowed to deterrioate the the shanks become very
brittle.  This is a very common problem in the U.K. especially on turn
of the century uprights where ceedarwood was very common material for
hammer shanks.

Regards,

Barrie.

In article <Pine.BSI.3.95.970322144421.8188A-
100000@buffnet7.buffnet.net>, Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net> writes