Concert Report

Paul N. Bailey 103445.713@CompuServe.COM
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 16:35:32 -0500 (EST)

Greetings, All;
	Skip Becker is too busy working on his Essay on the History of Tuning
for the Journal,to be able to follow pianotech lately; with his permission I'm
posting the following - and a comment of my own.
	I (Paul Bailey) want to add my observation that this very successful and
inspiring concert included a movement by Debussy, played in a
temperament that has three "pythagorean" (21.5 cent wide) thirds, and evidently
Debussy's intentions were well served by this tuning.

Duo Piano Concert at Nathan Wilson Center for Performing Arts, Jacksonville
Beach , Florida.
 Virginia Hogan and Luli Oswald two Brazilian pianists, and Irine Lumpkin,
singer.
(Luli Oswald is the daughter of Artur Rubenstein)

The pianos, a couple of Baldwin SD-10's , were tuned in Kellner's temperament.
The pianists knew this, they love this temperament and 'wouldn't have it any
other
way'.  Ms. Lumpkin wasn't aware that the tuning was 'different' , but thought
the
pianos sounded 'rich and full'.

(Excerpts from Skip's report on the concert)

Sender: SwamiJuan@aol.com
         Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:08:58 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Concert Report

Last night saw Virginia and Luli in concert, the culmination of a couple of
weeks of hard work,...
 Of course, they had me critiqueing the
rehersal.    Okay!
 Go home! Let me work!  (like i could do something). Heehee.  They're
gone...now who's this?  A singer?  I didn't know they had a mezzo(who needed
to rehearse in the hall) on the program...So we wait somemore...

, worked a
little with keyframe and strike point..noticed a difference,
wondered if Luli would.

Return to Concert.
 Luli and Virginia both wanted me there, so they could stop playing and point
to me and say: "You.  Come here and fix!"

The concert was fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Best music i've heard maybe ever!
 Never heard a wide interval, never any dissonance, nothing but beautiful,
sumptuous harmony.  Both pianos were singing like i didn't know they could.
There was no discernable difference in the voices! Singer was great (Bach and
Mozart).  Luli smoked 'em.  I will
never in my life, in any endeavor, exude the kind of control and domination
she showed at the keyboard.  She played Vivaldi: Maestoso, largo, and Fugue.
 Gluck: Melodie from Orfeu.  Debussy: prelude from 'pour le piano'.
 I feel like i saw Rubenstein playing.  I'd been
watching these two women for weeks, and i'd never seen anything like that.

ciao,