Steinway M problem

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:51:26 -0600

How come the capstans miss their whippen cushions??

Of course the action was set right on the key frame.  In other words
the action standard screw downs were right on the money.  Perhaps
there should be "line up pins" as my automobile mechanic calls them.
For such a precise placement, I have often wondered how they get the
action placed exactly right,especially with hard to get at hold down
screws.
Some used cleats, so some red face if that is the case in an M, as I
havn't seen one in a while.
	Which is often the answer to perplexing problems, check out an
instrument that is "right" to see if there are differences.  Then you
know if the
line up pins, or screw holes, or cleats, or anyting else differs.
(such as the angle of the capstans)

Richard Moody