favorite hammer

Kenneth W. Burton kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:15:37 -0700 (MST)

	Don,

	In your class on tuning hammers, please do not overlook the Schaff
Mini'extendible hammer. I order a regular shaft so that it would extend a
bit more than the original design.
	I use this little hammer for all of my tuning, including rebuilt
Steinway D's. My feeling is that, for some pianos, a short handle helps me
to move the tuning pin a smaller amount.
	For upright pianos, I have a comfort handle. This is used like a
Charley Huether ball but I have shaped it so that my fingers have a better
place to rest.
	I use extra short heads with angles of 5, 10, 15 and 20 degrees,
though I also keep a standard head handy for a few pianos with lids or
plate with extra overhang.

	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta