Flat board, bridge cracks

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 20:57:12 +0000

> Date:          Wed, 19 Mar 1997 20:15:25 -0600
> From:          James Grebe <pianoman@inlink.com>
> Subject:       Re: Flat board, bridge cracks
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

Of course saying something that isn't true is silly, especially
for a manufacturer of something that will see the light of day.
But if I was working at Steinway that would be the perfect piano
to ebonize.  Nothing structurally wrong with mismatched veneer.
Just good business!

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> ----------
> > From: Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
> > To: pianotech@byu.edu
> > Subject: Re: Flat board, bridge cracks
> > Date: Wednesday, March 19, 1997 9:38 AM
> >
> > but...
> >
> > How did it get out the door?
> >
> > Jon Page
> > -------------------------
> >
> > Fast, John. Real fast! :)
> >
> > Les Smith
> > lessmith@buffnet.net
> Further;;;;
> in the 70's I had occasion to refinish an ebony Steinway grand that had
> been badly smoke damaged, not burned.  It seems that Steinway used to say
> that none of their ebony pianos were made from natural finished ones that
> had "mistakes"  After stripping we admired the straight side of the piano
> where about halfway down the length the veneer changed from going longways
> to straight up and down.  I did not believe their claim of ebony pianos not
> being mistakes after that.
> James Grebe from St. Louis
> pianoman@inlink.com>

ilvey, RPT