Flat board, bridge cracks

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 07:13:11 -0500 (EST)

I know of one 7' piano (c. early 70's - similar to a well known make)  which
exhibited similar characteristics. Measuring with a line from hitch pin to
t-pin, I presumed that the cracks at the rear bridge pins may be the result
of too much side bearing, possibly. I'm not sure. And after many long trials
of voicing, spot hammer replacement, string leveling/setting, you name it,
(in that 2nd treble section especially); I again speculated  to the best of
my ability after running a line and placing a straight edge on the bridge
that the lack of tone appeared to be a result of negative front bearing, or
so it seemed to me.
So I resigned myself to that presumption and persued more fruitful
endeavors. (and yes, that 'D' over the break _was_ a bear to tune)
(Of course, these were only my observations, substantiated by no
one to my knowledge and have no real bearing on reality, truth or the way
things are or are not in the real world as they pertain to the construction
of pianos or the business practices of any company)

However, straightening the curved, uneven capstan line helped it to play
better and re-setting the overstriking hammers from C52 on up improved the
tone a little; but . . .

How did it get out the door?

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)