Salespeople vs. Technicians

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:56:40 -0500 (EST)

Ed. I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. The older I get, the
more I see, the more cynical I become. The world today is much dif-
ferent from the way it used to be when many of us older techs were
young and just starting out. Today's world seeks to measure everything
in term of dollars and cents. That includes things like honor, integrity,
trust,, thruthfulness and loyalty. Today it seems as if almost everyone
has his price, and sometimes it isn't very high at all.

The first sentennce of a famous book on the financial markets, entitled.
"The Money Game", reads: "The world is not the way they tell you it is."
In other words, it's all illusion and almost everyone--from your wife,
children. relatives, friends, co-workers and the people with whom you
do business, to your local, state and Federal politicians, lie to you.
Constantly. For instance, just look at television. It's a sorry state
of affairs when the two people on tv with the most credibility are
Marge and Homer Simpson!

For the modern tech, who tries to run his business in a fair, forth-
right and honest manner, it can be very discouraging trying to swim
in a sea filled with conscienceless sharks and barracudas. It seems
like everytime you bend over to tie your shoelace, there are ten
people out there tring to "blindside" you, if you know what I mean!
To survive in today's business world and remain morally and ethically
intact, is no easy thing. The temptations are great. The "ewerybody
else does it" mentality prevails. Surviving probably requires follow-
ing Thornton Mellon's advice in "Back to School, "Always look out for
number one, but take care that you don't step in number two."! Num-
ber two, of course, is what's being shoveled out big-time, by vir-
tually everyone with whom you come in contact.

I still try to look for the good in everyone, too, but at the same
time experience has taught me to expect the worst. That way I'm
never disappointed, but occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised.
Unfortunately, not very often. :(

"To thine ownself, be true"

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net