favorite hammer

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 20:07:59 -0500

Dear List,
        I have used almost every imaginable hammer.  I have a drawer full of
them, and my favorites are;
        1.  Non extensable, simple alnut handle, medium head, #2 tip, 10
degree head.  It has been shortened to about 10" and I will shorten it again
soon.  This light weight, ridgid hammer gives excellent feel to the tuning pin.
        2.  Very short (about 6") extensable, short 15degree head with a #2
tip turned down to fit close pins.  This is my Sunday go to meeting hammer
in a small leather Handtasche with SOG multitool, small fork minimum tuning
tools and a very few other mechanical tools.  Great travel or emerency case.
        3.  Yamaha Tuning Hammer.  I have left mine (2) in the drawer
because of their weight.  They are really ridgid and give good feels, but
they are heavy.

        I do not like the extensible hammers because of their lack of
mechanical ridgidity.  I do not like the Ball hammer I have because I can
feel it flex.  I have other hammers but use them for striging, and to
clutter up my drawers.

                Newton
                nhunt@jagat.com