Can't tune a thing

Mon, 17 Mar 1997 09:07:45 -0700

Arnold,

Suggested torque settings range from 15-25 foot lbs, for real pianos.  I
wouldn't hazard a guess
about others, except to suggest that, on an individual per piano basis, try
starting at 15# and work up the torque until things are about as tight as a
spark plug in an aluminum head.  (That's 25 foot
lbs, unless, of course, you fell something start to give first, in which
case, it's tight enought....)

Remember that we are working on pianos, not Cummins diesels.

Please don't get carried away.  Some folks crank these things down way too
tight, creating other problems.

Oh, I use a Snapon "click stop" type torque wrench.  Not cheap, but fast,
accurate, and consistent.

Good luck.

Best.

Horace

>On 1997-03-13pianotech said to arnold1@mindspring.com
>   >Did you check the plate screws?.  I had a kimball grand that was
>   >doing this and found two plate bolts stripped out.
>   >Warren
>   >--
>   >Warren D. Fisher
>   >fish@communique.net
>   >Registered Piano Technician
>   >Piano Technicians Guild
>   >New Orleans Chapter 701
>
>This brings up a question I have been thinking of asking for a while.  I
>have always had this "fear" of stripping out some plate screw or pin block
>screw when I wanted "to check" them to see if they are tight, or, worse yet,
>wringing one of them off.
>  I know not to
>just tighten them with all my might, but what should I do if one of them
>does strip?  How should I fix it?  That is a "whole bunch of tention" to put
>onto those other screws when the one I am tightening strips.  And if one
>strips, might the others be suspect, too?
>Arnold Schmidt, Raleigh, NC, arnold1@mindspring.com
>
>`[1;35;47mNet-Tamer V 1.05.1 - Test Drive

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"Always forgive your enemies,
		nothing annoys them so much.

			-	Oscar Wilde