Salespeople vs. Technicians

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:46:16 -0800

ETomlinCF3@aol.com wrote:

> Les and list,
>
> I have many stories myself of salespeople doing things that are less than
> honest.  I remember in my early years of selling I repeated things that were
> told me as to be fact, just to find out that they were not.   Did that make
> me bad?  Does that make all salespeople bad...no.   My strong point isn't
> that we all don't have stories of dishonest salespeople.  It is that we as
> techs should be careful not to brand the proffession as "shady" when, for the
> overwhelming majority of sales staff around these United States do care and
> want to be honest.  I would rather look to the good in people.
>
> Ed Tomlinson
> Tomlinson Tuning and Repair

Good for you Ed!  Say good about all people so that when the snake bites
you (and it will!) it will be because they are jealous of your success!
Then publicly forgive them. Like another person on the list said,
"Nothing will infuriate them more!"

Also, Ed, If you do not understand the basic sales techniques of: pitch
it and shut-up; a choice between something and something; solve problems
intead of selling; sell multiple things rather than one; customer needs
are more important than mine; repeat business is more important than new
business; propose long term scheduled reconditioning toward the goal of
the best that the instrument can become, then you are missing a lot of
potential income in your business.

I was a salesman in the Chemical industry for 18 years before starting
piano work, so I had a head start in these skills.  You are probably
already doing a lot of these things or you wouldn't still be doing it.
But, ways to cause people to react favorably to you are worth their
weight in gold, literally!

Good Luck

Warren
--