Ethical Salesman

PIANOCO@aol.com PIANOCO@aol.com
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:09:51 -0500 (EST)

Dear List:

Ethical Salesman.  Is there such a salesman(woman)(person). Yes! Just look in
the mirror.  Everytime you answer the phone, book a tuning or walk into a
customers house you are selling.  You may be selling tuning, pitch raising,
hammer filing, key bushings, rebuilding, Dampp-Chasers (I hope). This means
you must do what is best for the customer and be able to make a profit or you
will no longer be in sales.  Many piano dealers and salespeople want to do
what is right, provide a product for a price that is equal to its quality.
 Many dealers and salespeople are scum.  That's life.  So it is with piano
technicians.  There are nice people in this world and there are scum.  You
and I know techs who do the right thing no matter what.  We also know techs
who are dirt balls, bouncing from customer to customer, doing 30 min.
"tunings", shoddy work and just stealing from people.

Decide first if you want to work for customers (finders fee) or dealers
(commision).
Either one can work very well.  The ulitimate goal for either is to find the
right piano for the customer and to be paid for your services.  Notice I said
the right piano, not the "perfect" piano.  If another tech went to a piano
you had just serviced, do you think he or she would say "oh, this piano is
fine, it doesn't need a thing"?
We can all work together for positive results.  I'm an RPT and have a retail
store.  Some customers want a $1,200 spinet, so be it, others want a cherry
console piano that looks good, sounds good, priced fairly and comes with a
warranty, let it be so.  Others want the "perfect piano" for $500.  Nope. Not
out there. Most just want a good value.

Simply put, use common sense and be professional.  You really need to know
what pianos sell for in your area (new and used) in all possible conditions
and qualities before you can give your customers an honest evaluation.  Many
people decide what they are willing to spend before seeing what they can get
for that amount.  Find out what's out there.  Educate yourself, then go for
it.

This entire ethical discussion has been very enlightening.  More people need
to add their thoughts.

Happy St. Pat,

Steve Cunningham
The Piano Co. &