Ethical quandry (questions restated)

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 21:16:16 -0500

>>        ...Ethical lines are clear.  You should not get paid twice for the
same
>>job..
>>                Newton
>>                nhunt@jagat.com
>
>Newton, List,
>
>Your statements appears to be completely true.  My questions are:
>
>Is receiving a referral fee from a dealer for the sale of a piano, and
>receiving a finder's fee from the customer who bought the that piano the
>same job?  Or is it two different jobs involving the same item?
>
>Keith A. McGavern
>kam544@ionet.net
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731
>Piano Technicians Guild
>Oklahoma Baptist University
>Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA

Keith,
        THe only time I have gotten a finders fee is from a rebuilder buying
a piano I knew about.  Taking a fee from the buyer and the seller seem like
double dipping to me and would make me uncomfortable.  I think I owuld take
the commission and forgo the fee from the buyer.
        I am not certain that I have answered your question this the above.
I find I have no clear answer.  My way of working is I take the fee from the
one most easy to pay, the larger of the two and take as little from a
present or potential customer as possible.  I have returned appraisal fees
but never a commisssion.
        Have a happy week.
                Newton
                nhunt@jagat.com