Ethical quandary

Bonifield/Poulson bonifarm@oro.net
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 14:15:35 +0000

Tom:  It seems to me that the crucial matter to you would be the
appearance of unethical behaviour.  Even though you evaluated the
piano fairly and gave the coustomer the information you were hired to
provide, the fact that you subsequently received $ from the dealer
could lead the customer to jump to the conclusion that your judgement
might have been influenced by the possibile extra dollars from the
dealer.  Our reputations as technicians is as much a matter of
perception as it is of reality, and we have to avoid the perception of
comprimised ethics even when there is none. A good reputation is a
terrible thing to waste!  Patrick Poulson, RPT