Childrens' books and Virus Warning

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 14:12:44 -0600

I received the same e-mail message last year, and it is a hoax.  As far as
I can tell, Houghton-Mifflin is not participating in anything like this.
It is a nice thought, but unfortunately not true.

Last year I located the information that this was a hoax on a web page
about Urban Legends at http://www.urbanlegends.com/.  Go down to the bottom
of the web page and search for Houghton-Mifflin and your search will bring
up 15 or 20 messages that this is a hoax.  Please do NOT send e-mail to
Houghton-Mifflin, because they had over 100,000 e-mail messages and had to
turn the e-mail address off because of this.  (This is called mail-bombing).

Sincerely,
David

At 12:26 AM 3/15/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Subject: children books & VIRUS WARNING!!!
>
>This has been verififed to be true. The email doesn't even have to say
>anything.... the Houghton-Mifflin publishing co. is giving books to
children's
>hospitals; how many books they give depends on how many emails they receive
>from people around the world.  for every 25 emails they receive, they give
one
>book. All you have to do is email share@hmco.com, and put "Books for Kids" in
>the subject field.  Hope you can spare the seconds...and let your friends
know.
>So far they only have 3, 400 messages...last year they reached 23,000.
>

>--- Forwarded Message from somebody trustworthy in New York City ---
>Regards, Don Rose (drose@dlcwest.com)

David A. Vanderhoofven       Associate Member, PTG
Joplin, Missouri, USA        e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com

web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
#pianotech page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html