Help (please)! Voicing the Yamaha hammer

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 13:48:04 -0500

>I'm finishing up a hammer replacement on a Yamaha DC7 Disklavier in a
>recording studio. They're going to start using it on Monday. I replaced
>the original hammers with a set of pre-hung Yamaha hammers, with shanks
>and flanges attached. They are Yamaha DC7 hammers, but were made prior
>to the newer Yamaha sound (kinder, gentler, _softer_ hammer).

Hi, Tom,

SHorten your needles to about 1/2mm and voice the crown until hte crap is
gone at a very low dynamic.  I have found this neccessary on those REAL hard
hammers from Germany and Japan.  If there is a srust on the crown you cannot
voice well until it is gone.

Bear in mind that if you do not like the sound you can file the needled felt
away and get back to where you started.

Have anice weekend, Tom.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com