Ethical quandry

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:01:01 -0600

I agree,  Technically a finder's fee is usually paid by the
purcherser, more often for locating a rare instrument. A commission
is paid by the seller. If the buyer pays you money to tell him/her
what you know about the instrument and you fail to disclose that you
have been offered a commission, you are accepting money for
incomplete work, which is the seeds of fraud.  Or witholding vital
information, what ever that is called in legal circles.  If you want
to dwell on occupational hazzards, what you don't say can be just as
illegal as what you do say, as far as mis-reprensentation goes.  Even
if you do occasional free lance work for the dealer, that should be
mentioned before  you make the appointment.  (IMHO on that one.) Its
nice to be able to say, "Oh I have done work for them before, very
nice to work for".
Sure it gets sticky, suppose the dealer owes you money, or rubs you
the wrong way, does the client have to know that because it might
affect your judgement. But you can't really disclose that unless you
want the dealer to threaten libel in return.
	Then there was the time when I felt I was due BOTH a finder's fee
and a commission, (or at least a big fat tip) and got neither.
Oh well happy appraising.
Richardly Moody

----------

> > This is an interesting question, and one that's difficult to
answer.  My
> > own policy is to not take money from dealers under any
circumstance.  I
> > don't feel it is wrong to do so, but I've always felt that if my
customer
> > found out that I was taking money from the dealer, *they* might
feel
> there
> > was a conflict, whether I had given them good advice or not.  By
not
> > taking any finders fees, I just totally avoid the whole
situation.  FWIW.

> > Charles Farinella, RPT
> > c_farinella@conknet.com

" imagine how much question there would be in your customers mind.
     I think your "standing deal" with the dealer makes you, by
extension, a
salesman for his wares."    (Ed Foote)