Call Backs

Carol Beigel carolb@earthlink.net
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 06:52:18 -0800 (PST)

I figure that when a person calls the first time, wanting service on their
piano, they are calling because they don't like the sound of it.  They don't
know necessarily what it needs  - they just want you to come out and make it
sound better!  And if they call back after I've been there and done my
thing, and they are still unhappy, then I have obviously missed something.
I honestly think complaining customers call because they really think that
something is wrong!

So, when someone calls  after I have been there and says they have a
problem, I say something like "Oh dear" and immediately and cheerfully
schedule a time to go back out the next time I am anywhere near their
neighborhood - usually within one week.  Usually it is something that can be
taken care of in a few minutes.  The customer is grateful that you took the
time and remains your customer.

Do I charge?  Rarely.  If it is a repair, like pulling pennies or rodent
droppings from between the keys, or some obvious problem the customer caused
themselves, they are embarassed and offer to pay me.  I then charge a
nominal fee.  After all, I was in the neighborhood!

And I don't have trouble paying my bills!

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland