Ethical quandry

c_farinella@conknet.com c_farinella@conknet.com
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 07:53:17 +0000

In <3329BFD5.6348@cruzio.com>, on 03/14/97
   at 09:15 PM, Tom Cole <tcole@cruzio.com> said:

>Now I'm thinking about the fact that she is paying me my evaluation fee
>and that also I  will receive a finder's fee from the dealer because we
>have a standing deal. This strikes  me as a conflict of interest while,
>at the same time, I think that I'm being honest with my  customer about
>the condition of the piano and the fact that, if I were in her shoes, I
>would  buy the piano.

>Am I doing the right thing or do I need to return one of the fees?

This is an interesting question, and one that's difficult to answer.  My
own policy is to not take money from dealers under any circumstance.  I
don't feel it is wrong to do so, but I've always felt that if my customer
found out that I was taking money from the dealer, *they* might feel there
was a conflict, whether I had given them good advice or not.  By not
taking any finders fees, I just totally avoid the whole situation.  FWIW.

Charles Farinella, RPT
c_farinella@conknet.com