Ethical quandry

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:15:01 +0000

Dear List,

Recently, I encouraged a customer to get a better piano since her children were playing
with much better proficiency and their little console was needing a lot of work. I sold her
The Piano Book and recommended a particular dealer where she could start looking for
a new instrument.

Since this person obviously leads a charmed life, she walked into the recommended
dealership within a week after they had gotten a _slightly_ used Kawai GS-30 on
consignment. She hired me to inspect the piano and I recommended that she buy it since
it was in such good condition.

Now I'm thinking about the fact that she is paying me my evaluation fee and that also I
will receive a finder's fee from the dealer because we have a standing deal. This strikes
me as a conflict of interest while, at the same time, I think that I'm being honest with my
customer about the condition of the piano and the fact that, if I were in her shoes, I would
buy the piano.

Am I doing the right thing or do I need to return one of the fees?
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, California