Pearl River Piano Specs

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:49:23 -0700

At 06:19 PM 3/13/97 -0900, you wrote:

>I agree with Les Smith's assessment of the Pearl River Pianos.  They are no
>fun to work on.
>
>I did work on a bunch of Hastings pianos which I believe were Pearl River
>pianos assembled in Macau, a Portuguese colony near Hong Kong.  The Parts
>came from Pearl River (mainland China) I was told.

We ran into a few of those here. "Interesting" pianos. Other than extremely
sloppy construction the two biggest problems I saw with them were capstans
that had been either hammered down or pried up during adjustment rather than
being turned, and my particular favourite (NOT!) tuning pins that had NO
THREADS.

As for specs, if you can make them play at ALL you'll be lucky. They are the
"bottom of the barrel" IMO, and dealers who sell them without making that
VERY clear to a customer are doing them a disservice.

If I recall, Yat Lam Hong wrote an excellent article in the Journal many
years ago about visiting the Chinese and Macau piano factories. It's worth
reading if you're going to attack these things en masse.

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com