Satin Ebony - Cleaning Steinway

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 11:33:00 -0500

Garret E. Traylor wrote:

> Dear List;
> What techniques, materials, tools do you use to clean and make beautiful
> the satin ebony finish on Steinway pianos.
>
> Sincerely;
> Garret Traylor
> Equal Temperament Piano Services
>
> Associate Member at Large
> Washington D.C. Chaper PTG
> Okinawa Japan

I can't speak for the modern finishes, but if you're working with a
vintage piano, say earlier than about 1920, the finish is most likely a
stained shellac.  This finish can be completely restored by careful
rubbing with a mixture of spirit stain, alcohol, raw linseed oil, and
shellac.  Experiment on a less visible part first, and be aware that
different finishes were used in different places.  Be aware that rubbing
out an old finish can be very satisfying, but is actually a LOT more
work than just refinishing with modern paints.

Frank Weston