Pearl River Piano Specs

Kit Cleworth kitster@polarnet.com
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 18:19:58 -0900 (AST)

At 06:02 PM 3/13/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Anyone out there know where I can get the regulating specs for Pearl River
>consoles?  I promised to work on a truckload of them next week, and they all
>need major action regulation!  Specifically, the key height, level and dip
>are WAY off! Not to mention "bobbling" and sticking notes.  What a way to
>make a living!
>
>Carol Beigel, RPT

Carol:

I agree with Les Smith's assessment of the Pearl River Pianos.  They are no
fun to work on.

I did work on a bunch of Hastings pianos which I believe were Pearl River
pianos assembled in Macau, a Portuguese colony near Hong Kong.  The Parts
came from Pearl River (mainland China) I was told.

Specs are pretty normal with one exception...nothing works right unless the
keys are high.  The bottom of the keys have to almost show above the key
slip rail before the action works properly.  With conservative hammer to
string distance of 1 3/4" (or even a little less) and everything else being
set for what a normal piano of that size would need, you still need the keys
high.

I didn't have specs (although I asked for them), just took several notes and
worked out what was necessary for everything to work.  And nothing worked
unless the key height was excessive.

Hope this is helpful.

Kit Cleworth
Cleworth Piano Tuning and Repair