tuning story

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:57:05 -0500 (EST)

Horace:

Swords, knives, clubs, axes, old Kate Smith recordings. In short,
whatever it takes. Tact, subtley and diplomacy are just lost on
some people. True story: A few  years ago,  one New Year's Eve
morning, I was in a local country-club, tuning a very lovely, older
Steinway model "B" for that evening's upcoming New Year's party.
About half-way through the tuning, a cleaning lady came into the
room pushing a heavy-duty, atomic-powered, Hoovermatic Vacuum clean-
er, that sounded like the space-shuttle booster lifting off the launch
pad. I stopped tuning, and walked over to her smiling. When she saw
me approaching, she turned off the vacuum and nodded "hello". Mus-
tering every bit of tact and patience I had, I said the following:
"Good morning. As you can see, I'm in the middle of tuning the piano.
I hope that I'm not disturbing your vacuuming." To which she replied.
while giving me a big smile: "Oh, no, Dearie, you're not bothering
me at all. Keep on tuning!"  Having run out of tact, my response to
that may have offended her slightly, because she left the room quick-
ly and I was able to finish tuning without being bothered again. As
I left the club-house and started for my car, the thought DID cross
my mind that I might find that it now had four flat tires, but when
I got there I was relieved to find that my car was untouched. Ap-
parently the cleaning lady had not been offended by my remarks after
all! As a matter of fact, as I started my car and drove by the club-
house, I thought I saw her standing in the window, waving good-bye to
me! There's just one thing. Now, looking back on it, when I picture
her standing in the window, I seem to remember her waving, using only
one finger!  Naw. I must just have a faulty memory! :)

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net