tuning story

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:06:26 -0500

When I was half through my training as a tuner I went home to New Mexico and
tuned a few pianos.

I pitch raised and tuned an old upright for a family.

That night I got a call to the effect that the piano was out of tune.

So I went back the next day and was told that the complainer would be there
in about an hour.  I tuned the piano again, improving it I might add, to use
up the time until the complainer came home.

When he arrived I asked him what about the piano he thought was wrong.  He
went to the piano and played C,D,E,F,G,A,Bb,C.

I then gave a music lesson which made him happy (he got an extra tuning
free) and I was eternally grateful for the music lesson _I_ had had so that
I could show him how to play scales in any key on the piano and on his guitar.

        Newton
        (not yet the worst tuner in the world)
        nhunt@jagat.com