Temp. tunoff time???RE: De Gustibus (* tuning)?

Paul N. Bailey 103445.713@CompuServe.COM
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 05:57:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi Jim:

>What do you mean by the difference between temperament and tuning?
>I guess I really don't understand.

	I'm thinking in order to limit the variables as much as
possible, use a group of the same model piano, and tune each
with it's own RCT Ch.II generated tuning- using the same Octave Tuning
Style for each piano.  Advantage: each piano is'tuned' the same way
re: octaves' relation to IH. Disadvantage: perhaps there are things
to be learned about interaction of temperaments and octaves...
	Some very fine tuners 'stretch' to compromise between
double octaves and octave -fifths. I mean, they don't stretch
the same for every note; if it's the upper note of a just fifth,
it gets a different stretch than the upper note of a tempered
fifth. I'm not convinced this is best,
but I'm not sure - To "allow" it in this 'event' would be a great
learning opportunity, but would compromise the temperament comparison,
I suppose.... I have to think about this some more.

	Clear as chocolate pudding? or maybe lime jello?
		Paul Bailey

Hi Paul:

I don't think I understood your last phrase in the snip below:

>        So we could have temperament comparison tune-off events.
I'd almost be more interested to see whether audiences would prefer
rivals of et to et ; or 'mild' w.t.'s (victorian w.t.'s ) to et.
"You can't step in the same river twice" and all that, but maybe
we could have a small handfull of new somethings (Kawais?) and
we could eliminate many variables, change only the temperament, and
not the tuning, if you understand....

What do you mean by the difference between temperament and tuning?
I guess I really don't understand.

Jim Coleman, Sr.