De Gustibus (* tuning)?

Donald E. Mannino DonMannino@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:56:56 -0800

Ed Foote wrote:

>>      Wow!  Now this makes me wonder if I have read this right.  The
resulting sound of a piano tuned in something such as a Kirnberger/Prinz =
is
way different than that of equal temperament.
     It seems to me that if there was a correspondingly large difference
between two tuners tuning ET, one of them would not be passing any =
tuning
tests.  Have I read the original post wrong? <<
=20
Well, I don't know if it was your reading or my writing, but I was =
referring to the difference between most "well"  temperaments (that =
being the subject of the thread) and equal temperaments being relatively =
minor compared to the differences between 2 different tuners _tunings,_ =
not just temperaments.=20

We get so wrapped up in the middle of the piano that we sometimes forget =
that octaves and unisons are kinda important as well, and the way these =
are tuned varies quite audibly from one person to another.

Don Mannino