"Noise"

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:04:19 -0500

>Thanks:  are you saying on "cheap" pianos, this clutter is NOT inherent
>to the piano and its design, and so can be eliminated by proper detective
>work?
>
>Leslie Bartlett M. Mus
>Houston Chapter PTG
>lesbart@juno.com
>
>On Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:15:48 -0500 nhunt@jagat.com (Newton Hunt) writes:
>>Leslie,
>>
>>I can think of a few items to pay attention to the next time you tune
>>that
>>piano.
>>
>>        Hard, bad or too fast dampers
>>        Open waste end strings
>>        Hammers need filing and voicing
>>        Bridges are cracked or loose pins causing false beats.
>>        Soundboard and ribs loose. (watch them loose ribs, they
>>tickle).
>>        Noise rattling action.
>>        Strings not rendering easily
>>
>>Have fun diagnosing.
>>
>>        Newton
>>        nhunt@jagat.com

Dear Leslie,
        Having rebuild several "cheap" pianos with superior parts and good
dampoer felt I have accomplished substantial improvements on the coniditon
of the piano from when it came in.
        I do believe attention to detail helps improvement considerably.
        I am not so accomplished that I can conpemsate for poor engineering
and bad assembly except from the bridges and up, but many "cheap" pianos
have inferior parts and poor assembly that can be improved.
        I feel that often poor pianos are so because of poor materials and
insufficient man hours.  A Knabe cannot be made into a Mason & Hamlin, the
engineering and materials are not there, but any piano can be improved upom,
except a brand new Yamaha out of the box.
        something can always be done, or tried.  If the customer doesn't
want to try then it is all a moot point, except when you encounter the piano
that they DO want to improve.
                Newton
                nhunt@jagat.com