World's Worst Tuner

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:13:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Tom.

I thought uou might find this IMPORTANT tech tip to be helpful, the
next time you run through a complete set of Jiffy key leads while
doind damper-work on a grand. An acceptable substitute for a Jiffy
key lead that you've been securing to the damper heads with two
screws, is a lug-nut taken from the wheel of your car and affixed
with either duct-tape, or black electricians tape. I once saw a new
Samick grand with tightly pinned underlevers that had been treated
that way in three different places. I must admit that those babies
certainly didn't stick anymore! Downweight was a tad heavy, but HEY!,
one problem at a time, huh? The only downside to this repair is that
if you have to do it to more than five dampers, DON'T take all five
lug nuts off the same wheel of your car, or you're unlikely to make
it home with the satisfied piano-owners check. For that matter, you
might not make it past the turn out of his driveway. Large numbers of
extra lug-nuts in your tuning kit is probably the way to go. I hope
this helps! :-)

Les Smith
lessmithet.netn