World's Worst Tuner

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 17:12:02 -0500 (EST)

Way to go, Richard! We're proud of you!

A few years ago, I was called in to tune for a well-known artist,
whose name I won't mention. Her music director made a big deal
about what a great ear he had and insisted that the piano had to
be tuned to A-441. When he asked me if I could do so, I answered
"sure, no problem!"

The piano was an older Baldwin Concert grand that I had been tuning
maybe 25-30 times a year for over a decade. The piano and I knew
each other so well that it almost tuned itself. Anyway, when I was
finished Mr Hot-shot music director came over, pulled a little elec-
tronic gizmo out of his pocket and checked my A against it, He was
ecstatic when it read 441. He not only paid and tipped me for the
tuning in cash, but asked me to stay until intermission, so that I
could tune it again. Again I got paid for another full tuning, even
though it turned out to only about a twenty-minute touch-up.

Happy though the music director was with my tuning, there was one
thing he never knew.. I had tuned the piano to A-440 the way I always
did. Then, when I was finished, I went back to the A above middle C
and tweaked it up one CPS to A-441. Mr. Music Director with the "great"
ear never knew the difference! :-)

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net