Hearing Aids and Voicing

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:33:50 -0500 (EST)

Danny,

I appreciated your information about hearing loss and our dealing with
customers.  On one occasion I had to "kill" the hammers unmercifully on a
Story & Clark console to satisfy a customer who subsequently moved into a
retirement home and is now no longer with us.  I could not hear what he
objected to, but I satisfied him.

One question:  how to deal tactfully with aging customers when it seems
necessary to point out that their aging ears are the source of the problem,
not the piano?  I have some ideas but wonder how y'all do it.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Greer, SC

<< We have to guess that she has
 sensorineural hearing loss, probably common presbycusis (no, that's not
 the church she goes to) since they are attempting to correct it with
 hearing aids.  Presbycusis is where the cochlea (little hair cells) in
 the inner ear begin to die and are not replaced as a result of the aging
 process. >>