Piano Plate Refinishing

ETomlinCF3@aol.com ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:20:55 -0500 (EST)

List,

This may be basic for some.  I am about to pull a harp and finish it.  Here
is what I will do if I keep on my own.  I will clean plate with thinner,
lightly sand, fill gaps and voids with glazing compound and then prime.
 Rattle can it with Schaff piano Gold.
Then clear coat it and reinstall.

Any pitfalls?  It is a full perimiter plate on a Behning and Sons.  The bass
bridge is shot.  Any ideas on where to have it replicated?  Was going to have
Pianotec do it.
The treble bridge has a diagonal lamination where it is begining to seperate.
 This does not seem to give it trouble.  I was going to use CA glue to remedy
that situation.  This Grand was preserved by giving it a lovely Brown/Gold
antiquing.  Lots of work ahead.  I want to put new hammers on this.  I was
going to try Abel, any other suggestions? (if you are familiar with this
piano) It is a small 5 1/2' grand.

Thank you for your help,

Ed Tomlinson
Tomlinson Tuning and Repair