Voicing and Inharmonicity

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Sun, 09 Mar 1997 23:48:25 -0500 (EST)

On 3/9/97, Robert Scott <rscott@wwnet.com> rote:
<<There seems to be myth that holds that inharmonicity is affected by
voicing.  I would like to resolve this issue one way or the other.>>

I'm curious. The inharmonicity (the ratios among the patrial frequencies)
is a fnction of the actual material  which vibrates (either carbon steel
or L'Eggs Nylon), its tension, and the nature of its termniations
(especially ,the mass and behavior of the soundboard panel). The hammer
contributes nothing to the actual raios and really does nothing more than
start the string in motion. It does this by displacing (deforming) the
string. I can't understand how the string would notice whether a given
displacement had been acomplished by a hard hammer or  a soft hammer.
Obviuosly the relative strengths of the partials would notice, as would
their decay rate.

If you can observe differences in inharmonicity by taking a hard hammer,
then stetching some thick nameboard felt around it. I'd be interested to
know. And I do undertsand that the elevated pitch during the prompt sound
is consistent across the spectrum of partials, and thus not affecting the
ratio of frequencies among them.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"We mustn't underestimate our power of teamwork." Bob Davis