Voicing with tuning lever

Ferdinand Pointer fphinizy@pipeline.com
Sun, 09 Mar 1997 22:31:58 -0500 (EST)

>So, how do I tune a well temperament?  Tell me how to do it aurally, being
>that I can't use a SAT.  But if this temperament is used, aren't there some
>musical keys that sound really bad?  I thought that was the reason equal
>temperament evolved, to make all keys sound at least reasonable without
>having to retune the instrument.
>Arnold Schmidt, Raleigh, NC, arnold1@mindspring.com

Dear Arnold,
There are lots of well temperaments.  Which would you like to tune?  I would
suggest you get a copy of Owen Jorgensen's book TUNING. This is the life
work of the foremost authority on the development of western tuning systems.
Well tuning means a temperament in which you can play in all keys with no
wolf tones.  Another name is revolving temperament. Do not confuse this with
meantone tuning which is a limited temperament.  Bach's Well Tempered
Clavier was a set of exercises in all twelve keys.  This was not to
demonstrate playing at different pitches and on the black keys, but rather
an example of all twelve tonal colors available in a twelve note scale.

All temperaments involve fitting the Pythagorean comma into one octave. In
equal temperament we divide the comma into 12 equal parts, while well
tunings might be divided into fewer parts.  Equal tuning is a 12th syntonic
well tuning.  Other well tunings may divide the comma into as few as two or
up to eleven parts. I often use the Kirnberger III well temperament which is
a 4th syntonic tuning. This involves fitting the entire comma in four narrow
fifths which produces eight perfect fifths. This also produces four perfect
major thirds which really gives the tonal center its color.  We are not used
to hearing perfect major thirds but they are really beautiful and calm sounding.

As you only temper four fifths, this is a very easy aural temperament. Since
we hear with our ears we should always tune with our ears. I have yet to
meet anyone who enjoyed a concert by watching lights spin. I hope you will
pursue well tuning as a viable offering to your clients as it opens a whole
new facet of musical color that is not available in equal tuning.

Ferdinand Pointer, RPT
Harpsichord builder/restorer
Clearwater, FL