Voicing and Inharmonicity

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.com
Sun, 09 Mar 1997 11:45:03 -0500

There seems to be myth that holds that inharmonicity is affected by
voicing.  I would like to resolve this issue one way or the other.  Can
anyone report on an actual measurement of inharmonicity that they
made that shows a difference in the number of cents of inharmoncity
depending on how the string is struck?  My own experiments show
no difference between striking the string with a felt hammer or using
a light tap from a wooden paint stirring stick.  In both cases the pitch
of the fundamental and all the partials remained the same.  Now I
realize that the strength of the various partials depends a lot on how
and where the string is struck.  But if a partial is measureable, it
always shows up at exactly the same frequency, at least in my
experience.  What do the rest of you say?

 -Bob Scott
  Ann Arbor, Michigan