Noisy knuckles

Ferdinand Pointer fphinizy@pipeline.com
Sat, 08 Mar 1997 22:49:10 -0500 (EST)

I would like to know if anyone has found a cure for noisy knuckles. I have
>afew grands not so old were the knuckles still have a good shape but are
>noisy. They seem to have hardened. The noise is produced when the shank
>drops on the rep lever whenever the notes are released. Anyone out there
>with a solution before I replace these?
>
>Marcel Carey, RPT

Dear Marcel and list,

I have had a good bit of exposure to this problem. As I have installed some
65 PianoDisc units in the last 2+ years,  hard knuckles often show up after
just a little time of constant playing.  Most of these things are installed
in Young Changs or Samicks and both of these pianos have the same problems.
All of the methods mentioned so far usually work on manually played pianos,
but don't last on the ever playing disc systems.  The only method I have
found to last or even work on some instruments is to use fabric softener and
alchol to saturate the under felt of the knuckle.  While this is still wet
give the knuckle a squeeze with duck-bill pliers from front to back.  This
kneeding seems to free up the leather cover and work the fabric softner into
the very hard felt.  As alchol evaporates pretty fast, this job is pretty
fast.  As soon as it is dry on the surface of the leather start liberally
putting teflon powder on these knuckles. This has worked so far even on
pianos played daily in bars and restuarents. The longest so far in regular
use has been about 8 months.  I will keep watch to see if the problem
returns and let you know.

Ferdinand Pointer, RPT
Clearwater, FL