Noisy knuckles

JElving@aol.com JElving@aol.com
Sat, 08 Mar 1997 15:04:16 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-03-08 12:20:37 EST, Marcel Carey writes:

<< I would like to know if anyone has found a cure for noisy knuckles. I have
 afew grands not so old were the knuckles still have a good shape but are
 noisy. They seem to have hardened. The noise is produced when the shank
 drops on the rep lever whenever the notes are released. Anyone out there
 with a solution before I replace these?

What kind of piano is this? There have been some problems with Young Changs.
I think they used old kangaroo leather {:-/). They suggest loosening the
knuckles by going under the leather with a small jewelers screwdriver and
sort of stretching it. I find, however that the problem comes back and the
only real way to cure the problem is to replace the knuckles. If it is a
Young Chang, chack with Phil Glenn to see if they will pay for the
replacement under warranty. They have in the past.

Hope this helps.

John Elving, RPT
Sacramento, CA