voice from *Hear*

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sat, 08 Mar 1997 17:35:07 +0000

Dear Mark,

I will describe the method which I was taught to needle hammers.

Toning down comes in two sections cutting back and picking out.

Cutting back.  I start at bottom "A"  with three needles in my holder (I
will not state sizes as there could be a conflict of sizes between the
different Continents.)  I stab the hammers three times on each hammer
working my way up the treble as I get to the last one and a half octaves
I reduce to two stabs,  then to one. The last four notes, I do not stab
at all.  I insert my needles approximately a quarter inch from the nose
of the hammer directing the needles at an angle towards myself.  I
never stick needles in the side of the hammer nor directly on the nose
of the hammer.  I play the piano or preferably get the customer to play
the piano to see if we agree on the general level.  If the level is not
agreed,   we want it a bit softer, I repeat the process just using two
needles.

When the agreed level is attained,  I then re tune the piano.  Then
proceed to pick out.   I start for my first pass at the top treble and
run down chromatically and pick out any obvious bright notes.  I then
change to one needle and proceeded working from the middle of the piano
working outwards carefully going over an octave at a time picking out
any unevenness paying particular attention the the brakes.  I also use a
wedge to check the hammers evenness in tone by muting off left and
right strings and toning the appropriate side of each hammer where
necessary.  The last octave at the top trebled I always use one fine
needle as a small amount of needling here can make a big difference.  I
find it useful sometimes to get the customer to play the piano wile I
go to the loo gives you a rest from the piano.

I'm sure there is many on the list who will give you other techniques
different to mine which at the end no matter what technique you use so
long as the customer and the end result are a happy one.  No amount of
theory can really help you,  on this one.  It is a matter of personal
preference and practice.  A good tool to invest is a hammer iron this is
a small tool made from brass with a wooden handle which you heat up with
a cigarette lighter wiped clean and place on the nose of the hammer to
harden them off a little handy if you have overdone the odd hammer.

Hope this is of some help.

Kind regards,

Barrie.

In article <970307212456_-1573341599@emout12.mail.aol.com>,
RPSPIANO@aol.com writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |